Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Photography in the eye of a beholder (bb-16/6/07)
WHEN I was first introduced to a digital camera technology several years ago, I could hardly envisage that I would be more than a casual photographer let alone taking it seriously. With minimal basic knowledge of photography, flipping through an instruction manual is rather tedious and cumbersome to get accustomed with jargons and acronyms of photography.
Sticking to the default settings and exposures was an obvious solution for a novice like me. Shooting numerous practices was not without a hiccup right on the onset but gradually I began to capitalize the basic features quite comfortably. I was in cloud nine and appreciating the values of my newly found ‘fame’. However, it was not long before I encountered some bad patches filling most of the photos. One brighter day or outdoor activities, they are perfect but when it comes to gloomy or dark surroundings, the problems prevailed with the likes of dark crescent-shaped shadow and evil glowing red satanic eye effect (red-eye).

My best buddy

Consulting a colleague (who is a photoblogger), he says there are a host of reasons particularly when a flash is deployed. A point and shoot camera (the one that I have) is vulnerable partly since they tend to be used in low-light situations like restaurants and living rooms and its onboard flash unit (non-removable) is located very close to the lens. The best solutions for avoiding redeye are either to abandon flash altogether or, if I have to use it, to move the flash unit as far away as possible from the lens. Unfortunately, neither bounce flash nor moving the flash is possible with a camera’s built-in flash.

One of my many shots using the basic menu; close-up photography
Then he came up with a suggestion to switch to DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) as most of the shortcomings could be fixed or minimized. I presume moving to another format is a pretty good idea but it is not a necessity unless for competition or money-spinning endeavor. On the other hand, I duly believe producing decent photos is an added advantage especially for a freelance journalist. Soon rather than later, I come to a realization that by integrating photographic skill with the composition of my script or article is paramount to preserve its values and effectiveness of the information being delivered to readers.
He touted further if I were to capture super quality pictures with artistic values such as blurred background or macro photography, DSLR is the best option since it employs interchangeable lens, meaning to say that I have a total freedom to choose either wide, normal or telephoto lenses to get the desired outcomes. Not to discredit me, he added owning both a point and shoot digital camera and DSLR are pretty fine since they compliment each other and suited for different situations. For quality preference, DSLR is the perfect choice but for convenience (occasional photographing), the point and shoot sometimes wins out.
Well, with prices for digital cameras falling and within reach of the average digital photographer’s budget, it could not have been a better time to get into the world of DSLR. But what brand and specs should I choose? In my pursuit to find the solution, I come across an over-repeated question overwhelming the net which says “which manufacturer makes system best suits my particular photographic needs?” The author says it is too vague to answer without knowing more about our needs and budget.
Really, though, it comes down to personal choice. He advises prospect buyers to make a list of the type of features they need to suit his photographic requirements and work out a basic budget. Browse online or go to a camera store, check out the various cameras and lenses that fit their budget and decide if they feel right or play with the camera controls - do they make sense, does the camera grip feel comfortable or does the maker offer the equipment they want at prices they can afford?
After weighing in the pros and cons of DSLR, I narrow down my selection and finally end up with EOS (electro-optical system) Canon. As a novice with a big appetite to venture out into serious hobby or career in the future, sadly, my dream model was out of stock and as enthusiasm got the better of me, I fork out a beginner’s set (350D) instead. I admit this is not the best model that I intent to own in the first place but based on the author’s experience, why going for the mid or specialized models if the features are underutilized unless if it fits the budget? However, mid or high end models are sought after models among photojournalists or professional photographers as they consider their endeavors challenging and worth investing on high value ends.
That’s lead me to another issue, do I need the complete set or just the body alone? The good thing about purchasing DSLR is the liberty either to purchase body or just lens kit. First of all, the whole point of a camera with interchangeable lenses is we can attach whatever lens we need. Unlike a simple point and shoot camera with its non-removable lens, we aren’t limited to whatever the manufacturer builds into the camera. Second, everyone has different needs and budgets. So it’s usually desirable not to include a lens so we can choose the lens or lenses which are right for us, not some generic lens. Third, what if we were to buy another camera? Then we would have two of the same lenses, unless we are camera savvy, we could own two or more cameras of different manufacturers.

A beginner's version of sunset
Other factor benefiting the owners is the compatibility of third-party lenses made by lens manufacturers such as Tamron, Tokina and Sigma. These lenses are affordable and I have one from Sigma nicely fitted with my 350D. It works out be a sensible investment since the price is reasonable but offers the same convenience and quality in comparison with other lens maker. Third party makers also produce lenses in a variety of market categories (not limited to specific categories) and choosing the higher end of the product line is the best solution.

A runner is silhouetted against the sun's ray
Having said that, Canon do sell many EOS cameras bundled with lenses. Such lenses are called kit lenses, but frankly not all kit lenses are of a particularly high quality. We are often best off buying the camera body which suits our needs and finding a good lens to match it. They are so many lenses in the market and in the case of Canon products, they are classified as consumer lenses, midrange zooms, prime lens and specialized lenses. The biggest deciding factor is, as always, money because photography is fairly an expensive endeavor. Only we can decide what our priority is; low initial purchase price, mechanical reliability, compatibility, user interface or optical quality. My take? I’d go for the complete set and stuff it with other lens for variation and greater coverage range.
Since I consider myself an advanced beginner and giving the fact the new digital economy is constantly revolving, best off buying an expensive lens and attaching it to a cheap camera rather than the other way around. And not entirely coincidental, this approach will also result in better photographs. Quality lenses, of course would produce desirable results but other imperative factors worth considering in producing quality and creative photos such as focal length variation, proper selection of ISO speed and correct application of shutter speed and aperture (f-stops).
I recall a statement from a photographic expert which is still echoing through the back of my mind; “Whoever the person behind the camera, he will be the one who determines the overall quality shoots.”

No comments: